Tuesday, December 3, 2013

I dropped the ball...ish

Well, sort of. I quit before the end of my NABLOPOMO challenge last November. I didn't forget about it as much as I consciously decided to step away for a few weeks.

The thing about blogging is that it is therapeutic for me. It is a place where I can organize my thoughts, share my feelings, and record the memorable moments of our lives.

But sometimes, it isn't therapeutic. Sometimes it is stressful and too much. And when it is, I take a step back- from the blog, and usually from social media in general because I find that the two go hand in hand. I don't step back because the blog makes me unhappy, but I do step away from it because it is time consuming. And if I am "unhappy", it almost always means that I have been misallocating my time and messing with my very delicate life balance.

So I walk away for a week. Or two. Or a month. Maybe more. It doesn't matter.

What does matter is what I do instead.

Last month, instead of blogging, I snuggled with my husband.

I read stories to my babies.

I had long phone dates late at night with my friends.

I drank a few too many glasses of wine.

I put up my Christmas tree.

I cleaned out my storage room (a project I've been procrastinating on for years).

I bought all my Christmas gifts.

I watched some favourite movies.

I took some long baths.

I spent too much time stressing about politics.

I visited with my family.

I played trains with Sammie.

I taught Charlie how to clap and how to say "HUZZAH" when she is excited.

I slowed down.

I made memories.

And, slowly, I started to feel better and I started to take control over the things that were causing me unhappiness and stress.

Because as therapeutic as this space is, there is no therapy greater than spending more time with the ones that I love.

So now I am back, and I'm doing another "challenge" (which I will write about right away). I can't promise you that I will be faithful to it, but I can tell you that I am going to enjoy it.

And if I don't, I will simply walk away and live to blog another day.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment