Thursday, September 5, 2013

On Tragedy

*I do not consider this post to be a part of the summer blog challenge. I will write a response post of my own for that. This post is intended to share a story, a tragedy, and to give perspective to those who work with special needs and the friends, the family, the siblings, the parents who love them. 

I do not know if there has ever been a more heartbreaking story of the world failing a parent, and a parent failing her child. It is a story of hopelessness and of tragic desperation. It cuts to the core of who we are and what we believe in as a society. It is difficult to read, but it might be the most important story I ever share on this blog. 

I know that reading blog posts is time consuming. I know that this is especially true when there are a bunch of links to read first. But I am asking you- no, I am begging you- if you are close to our family, please take the time to read each and every link that I am about to share.  

From: The Status Woe, written September 3, 2013:

Our story opens with a mother who was on the brink of losing everything- everything- because the system failed her. Her safety, and the safety of her children, was on the line. Her options had been exhausted. She had been fighting for years. This is her final cry for help. 



From: The Traverse City Record Eagle (Online Newspaper), written September 4th, 2013

The unspeakable happens. 


From: Mostly True Stuff, written September 4th, 2013

Lexi puts into words how most of us- followers and friends and partners in this sometimes dark journey of special needs parenting- are feeling. 

Kelli is one of our own. A woman I have "known" through her advocacy. This is a woman who loves her children. She has championed them. She has fought for years, for them and for all our children


I have no words for the sadness and pain and anger and fear that I am feeling.  I am in shock. I am terrified. And I am all too aware of her struggle. Never before has a stranger's story hit closer to home.


1 comment: